Generous Gift Covers Printing Costs for 2023-24 School Year Newspapers

Avon, Ind. – Parag Patel, Avon resident, made a donation of more than $2,500 to Avon High School (AHS), an amount which will cover printing costs for the remaining four issues of the school’s student newspaper, Avon Echo, during the 2023-24 school year. Patel’s gift is intended to nurture the journalistic activities of AHS students. His donation is in memory of his late seven-year-old son, Shiv, and his friend and former Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl who were both murdered. Patel stated, “Their courage and curiosity both led them to speak the truth, which for them, was as important as freedom itself.” Over 150 individuals and institutions from around the world posted tributes to Shiv at https://www.flannerbuchanan.com/obituaries/shiv-patel.

Patel has consistently supported youth leadership initiatives in Indiana.  In April 2019, he donated $ 3,000 to support the Leader in Me program at Hickory Elementary School where Shiv had attended and volunteers on the committee which awards Hendricks County’s three Lilly Scholars every year. This scholarship is funded by the Lilly Endowment and provides full tuition scholarships to any four-year college or university in Indiana. He became aware of this need from his relationship with Sara Bender as her daughter, Simone Bender, is a prolific writer and interested in a career in Journalism.

Patel is impressed by the quality and impact of the student journalism in Avon Echo. “I am pleased to see exceptional commitment of Bill Caulton, passion of the students, and the many impactful stories about a range of subjects that spur constructive discussion and healthy debate in our community,” says Patel. “I strongly believe supporting responsible journalism is critical in sustaining free societies and promoting democratic and open societies around the world.

I’m so appreciative of Mr. Patel’s generosity,” says AHS English Teacher and Publications Advisor Bill Caulton. “This donation has an enormous benefit to our student journalists, school, and wider community.

Avon Echo is Avon High School’s official student publication. The publication’s website offers news, features, sports and editorial content and is updated on a weekly basis. For more information, visit AvonEcho.com.